Thursday, 2 September 2010

Evaporation

Okay, so my last blog died after a mysterious earthquake hit the online world and now that the dust has settled I’ve decided to get back at it. It’s going to be like it was before only a little different. I thought about starting over on tumblr (what with new friends and all) but all those flashing lights and links left me so confused I could barely login, so this will have to do for now.

So my blog has moved and in real life I’ve moved too; from Sea Point to Sunnydale, a suburb even more boring than Fish Hoek if such a thing is possible (but the beaches are better). My neighbour, on the other side of the electric fence, likes cars. I mean he really, really likes cars and his driveway has a number of them in various stages of decomposition. At night he listens to music with a lot of base in it. It’s hard not to notice when I’m lying on my coach with a copy of Allen Ginsberg’s Selected Poems and I’m wondering why the walls are shaking.

I forgot to ask the landlady about the neighbours. She said everyone’s pretty friendly (on the inside perimeter of the electric fence) and that having a cat is not such a good idea, especially if it’s prone to climbing fences. Everything’s changed. Again.

My love affair with poetry continues and so I wanted to start this season with one of my favourite poets, Lisa Zaran. Look what she says in only 6 sentences…

Evaporation

I've left pens in a red rush behind me, full of words I meant to write.
Scars on the soft edge of nouns, verbs I meant to give life to and forgot.
Stories, once started, lost reason, as adjectives fell left and right.
There were times I believed, I'm a thin woman now, my children stand
on a dusty road, their witness-mouths twisted shut. Every night, I wish on a star.
Oftentimes, the desert sky is dead in all its eloquence. I still whisper.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi JM! I'm glad you're blogging again. :) --Jen H.

tuberider said...

Ahhh, thank you Jen! I'm going to also put up some of my older poetry, so do skip over anything you've read before.

My sister tells me you're going to be in London tomorrow?! Enjoy it.

Unknown said...

yep. i am here right now and will see your sister very soon. it's a shame you're not here, too!