Sunday, 5 September 2010

The Skin Map


So Stephen Lawhead has released his 24th book The Skin Map; A BRIGHT EMPIRES novel. Not only is Stephen Lawhead a great writer, but he's also a damn fine human being and for this reason alone it’s okay to steal money from street kids to buy this book.

I first met Stephen Lawhead and his lovely wife, and slightly less lovely sons, when I was working as a volunteer for Schloss Mittersill, a castle high on the hills in the snow-capped mountains of Austria. Unfortunately, I was not the king but the kitchen help and used to spend the most part of my waking days washing dishes. One night during the Christmas party, faced with a trillion dishes to wash, Stephen Lawhead came into the kitchen and helped me wash the dishes so that I could join the party.

Can you believe that? Either you have to be really, really crazy or really, really kind and Stephen Lawhead definitely isn’t crazy.

The writer Stephen Lawhead & I

2 comments:

Robert Treskillard said...

That's an awesome story about meeting Stephen Lawhead! Thanks for sharing it, and also for helping promote his book.

Anonymous said...

Have you heard about the treasure hunt connected to Lawhead's book (The Skin Map)? It's like a nationwide geocaching game with a great prize! And it sounds like awesome fun. More info here: http://thebrightempires.com/(I think there are more opportunities to meet him!)