Friday, 8 October 2010
Unhappy birthday to you!
"Almost always you can bet your bottom dollar that God is going to be on the side of the one who is being clobbered." Archbishop Desmond Tutu
So it was Desmond Tutu's birthday yesterday and I missed it. That always happens. Archbishop Desmond Tutu is South Africa's next big thing after Zoo Biscuits, Jelly Tots and Mandela. He is a Nobel Peace Price winner and really likes the colour purple.
In light of this event here is my poem for the day:
Unhappy birthday to you!
I hope the sun didn’t shine and it rained all day.
I hope you were lonely when no one turned up.
I hope the balloons burst and the decorations were dull.
I hope the clowns cried when their jokes fell flat.
I hope the music was old and the dance-floor dreary.
I hope you were sad when nobody sang.
I hope your fingers burnt when the candles didn’t blow out.
I hope the food was cold and your cake collapsed.
I hope your flowers died and your presents were crap.
Then you’ll see how I could be so blue when I wasn’t there for you.
(by Jean-Michel K.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I love 'The Arch' so as I started reading this poem a sense of anger washed over me... Then I got to the last line and realised what an idiot I am. Happy Birthday, dear Desmond Tutu, albeit very late... Enjoy your retirement. You deserve to rest now. You have carried our burdens for long enough.
love your humor.
love your humor.
Post a Comment