Thursday, 21 October 2010

PRICKLY PEARS

after Frida Kahlo

With his soft painter’s hands
how quickly he peels me

like a prickly pear
removing my thorns.

In one flash
he becomes Diego the butcher

whose third eye can see
into the abattoir of my chest

where my heart hangs
from a meat-hook.

by Pascale Petit

12 comments:

Victoria said...

Jean-Michel, this is a wonderful poem about Kahlo and Rivera. Such interesting characters/artists/lovers. We had a Khalo exhibit at the museum where I'm a docent. I just posted a poem on Andy Warhol.

Anonymous said...

This is incredible, lovely flow of words.

L.L. Barkat said...

I like this. Prickly pears have made it into some of my poetry too. Something about them, I don't know.

Brian Miller said...

snap. that was vicious and beautiful...that meat hook stings though...

Mommy Emily said...

haunting.

unremarkable_m said...

Gorgeous work.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

stunning imagery.
masterful job.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/thursday-poets-rally-week-32-november-4-10/
you are represented as fresh poets to explore at our Poets Rally week 32.
you will get some traffic when poets visit you…
I invite you to become a participant, which helps you get poetry awards upon making a minimum 18 comments to participants.
Thanks for the considerations. Link in a poem via commenting under the post when you are ready.
Happy Thursday!
xxx

tuberider said...

Hi Jingle, thanks for the link, I will check out the website & try participate.

Do note that "Prickly Pears" was written by the poet Pascale Petit as I mentioned on the post & not by me.

My own poetry can be found on the "My Poetry" label on this blog.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

wow, stream of conciousness flowing into the gruesome! visceral!

Shashidhar Sharma said...

Beautiful ... nice flow of words with vivid imagination... and image is so alive... I liked it very much...

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I like how revealing this is, and how one can be so given to another. Clever use of alliteration as well.